By default Ubuntu has black GRUB screen. It's not very beautiful. How to change this to something better?
- Get some pictures in XPM format - http://www.gnome-look.org/ (search is on the left, enter "grub") or if you have apt-get: sudo apt-get install grub2-splashimages . If you have XMP image you need to compress it to gz format: gzip image.xmp. This will produce you the file image.xmp.gz. Put this file into /boot/grub/splashimages. apt-get does that automatically.
- Make a copy of your /boot/grub/menu.lst: sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.old
- Where does your Linux live? In my computer it lives in hd(0,5). Chech your sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst, at the end, near title (name of the entry in GRUB) there should be something like: root (hd0, 0), if your Linux lives in /dev/hda1.
- Open /boot/grub/menu.lst: sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst. You'll find those lines (in my PC it was 25th - 26th line):
# Pretty colours #color cyan/blue white/blue
- After those lines add: splashimage (hdA,B)/boot/grub/splashimages/image_name.xpm.gz (in my computer it was: splashimage (hd0,5)/boot/grub/splashimages/moon.xpm.gz)
- Lets hope it works...